Cubs 2 Oshkosh

Covering AirVenture 2012 in a Field of Yellow

Forums

Forum Home > Buddy system > From out West

Lyn Cate

My wife (she will be driving an RV) and I plan to make Rock Springs around the 15th or 16th of July. Sherman Hill has definately got my attention. I am  planning a really early morning crossing. To this point we will have traveled from Medford to Lakeview, Burns, Ontario, down Hwy 84 to Burley, then Logan and to Evanston to pick up Hwy 80. The airplane will be as light as possible and I'm hoping for cooler than normal temps.

February 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Creighton king

Leaving from South Valley Reginal in Salt Lake City U42.  Nice little airport.  food movie and hotel nearby. It would be a good meet up spot.  I fly east all the time out of here and I plan a early departure and follow I-80  I'm sure I could get a fuel discount from the FBO

February 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris Cannon

Will be going from Santa Paula (SZP), just north of Los Angeles.  Will be traveling via El Paso to stay over the lowest terrain.

February 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Flying Bautista Brothers

Hi Guys, we will be following old Route 66 after over night at Riverside, CA. Then Winslow, OKC, STL and on to OSH. Plan on drinking margaritas every night!

--
February 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bvhydro

Lyn Cate at February 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM

My wife (she will be driving an RV) and I plan to make Rock Springs around the 15th or 16th of July. Sherman Hill has definately got my attention. I am  planning a really early morning crossing. To this point we will have traveled from Medford to Lakeview, Burns, Ontario, down Hwy 84 to Burley, then Logan and to Evanston to pick up Hwy 80. The airplane will be as light as possible and I'm hoping for cooler than normal temps.

Lyn: Given weather delays enroute, a 17 July departure from Rock Springs WY is just about right. I am probably coming with my 13yro daughter.  My cub is a no electrical O-200 with a pseudo-climb prop and seems to make 400 fpm at gross at 10,000 feet on a 70 degree day. I had an Aeronca TC65 in Boulder, CO that would get up to 8500 feet ok on a tired 65 with only me in it; Sherman hill is about 7000 feet elevation. I do know that the turbulence and wind becomes more of a problem in the Rockies around noon; that is also when the rains usually start.

I don't have a Cheyenne Sectional, but----provided the Park Service has not made it a restricted area---passing near Mt. Rushmore as we angled from I-80 up to I-90 would be interesting. Sand Hills, Badlands, and a whole lot of corn; lets stay in touch.......Best///Eric

February 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lyn Cate

You bet. 

February 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jerry Rootlieb

Creighton king at February 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Leaving from South Valley Reginal in Salt Lake City U42.  Nice little airport.  food movie and hotel nearby. It would be a good meet up spot.  I fly east all the time out of here and I plan a early departure and follow I-80  I'm sure I could get a fuel discount from the FBO

April 24, 2012 at 8:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jerry Rootlieb

Chris Cannon at February 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Will be going from Santa Paula (SZP), just north of Los Angeles.  Will be traveling via El Paso to stay over the lowest terrain.

--
April 24, 2012 at 8:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Ingerson

Jerry Rootlieb at April 24, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Chris Cannon at February 22, 2012 at 12:53 AM

April 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Flyctrobin

Creighton king at February 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Creighton,

When are you leaving?  Wanna go together?

I may leave either Tuesday or Wed and stop at Mt. Rushmore (custer county airport) and Sioux Falls for the Blue Angels Saturday/Sunday.

Unfortunately, I have to stop about every 160-200 miles to refuel...  But that's 2 hours and I'm ready for a break after that..

Let me know!

I'd love to meet up (in the air, on the ground) with some of you folks!

Cory.

--

Cory.

PZL 104 Wilga 35P

June 29, 2012 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lyn Cate

Departing MFR (Medford Oregon) Friday 7/13 one week from today. Staying with our motor home we'll be following Hwys 140, 395 and 20 in Oregon, I84 in Idaho and I80 through Wyoming and East as far as possible till turning North to HXF.

Lyn

541 210 1247

July 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Richmond

Lyn Cate at July 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Departing MFR (Medford Oregon) Friday 7/13 one week from today. Staying with our motor home we'll be following Hwys 140, 395 and 20 in Oregon, I84 in Idaho and I80 through Wyoming and East as far as possible till turning North to HXF.

Lyn

541 210 1247

Lyn,

I'll be leaving from the Omaha area (KFET) on Thurs or Fri (7/19 or 20) You're welcome to RON here as you pass thru and maybe we can fly to HXF together.

George

402 894 2917

--

Have Cub, will (slowly) travel!

July 9, 2012 at 7:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lyn Cate

George Richmond at July 9, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Lyn Cate at July 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Lyn

541 210 1247

Lyn,

I'll be leaving from the Omaha area (KFET) on Thurs or Fri (7/19 or 20) You're welcome to RON here as you pass thru and maybe we can fly to HXF together.

George

402 894 2917

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep in touch and should have a better idea on how this is going to go after we make it to Rock Springs WY.

July 10, 2012 at 1:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bvhydro

Hello; Planning on flying from Montrose CO to Rock Springs on 16 July. The drought in the Rocky mountains has broken in the last few days and we are getting the afternoon monsoons. Nice weather sun-up till noon or so, then maybe a couple of hours before sunset.

Eric

July 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lyn Cate

We are at Glenns Ferry, Idaho U89. Will shoot for Logan, Utah tomorrow.

July 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Fran Tebbe

Flying Bautista Brothers at February 22, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Hi Guys, we will be following old Route 66 after over night at Riverside, CA. Then Winslow, OKC, STL and on to OSH. Plan on drinking margaritas every night!

Hi there, will your route still take you thru STL area?

I have a 46 J3 at KALN just N of STL. I plan on heading to Hartford Thursday or Friday the 20th.

If coming by here did you want to fly together. Where u planning to overnite?

Fran

July 15, 2012 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Lyn Cate

bvhydro at July 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Hello; Planning on flying from Montrose CO to Rock Springs on 16 July. The drought in the Rocky mountains has broken in the last few days and we are getting the afternoon monsoons. Nice weather sun-up till noon or so, then maybe a couple of hours before sunset.

Eric

Eric,

Did you get to Rock Springs yet? We are here at RKS planning to leave early tomorrow morning and go as far as t-storms allow.

Lyn

July 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lyn Cate

Made it to Sydney, NE (SNY).

July 17, 2012 at 3:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

George Richmond

If you are following I80 across NE, York (JYR) is a good lunch stop; courtesy car, grass runway, reasonable fuel price, take car to Chances R downtown (3 mi) for lunch. Otherwise, Genoa is a good stop for fuel, as is North Platte (LBF), Ord (ODX), Norfolk (OFK), Fremont (FET), Wayne (LCG), Martin (7K), Harlan (HNR).

No services at SCB, 93Y,  fuel only at AHQ, TQE, BTA, OLU, 

If you choose to stop at FET, give me a call and I'll give you lunch, water or a place to hangar the Cub for the night. 402-350-1915. I'm headed out of FET for HFX on Thurs. AM.

--

Have Cub, will (slowly) travel!

July 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lyn Cate

George Richmond at July 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM

If you are following I80 across NE, York (JYR) is a good lunch stop; courtesy car, grass runway, reasonable fuel price, take car to Chances R downtown (3 mi) for lunch. Otherwise, Genoa is a good stop for fuel, as is North Platte (LBF), Ord (ODX), Norfolk (OFK), Fremont (FET), Wayne (LCG), Martin (7K), Harlan (HNR).

No services at SCB, 93Y,  fuel only at AHQ, TQE, BTA, OLU, 

If you choose to stop at FET, give me a call and I'll give you lunch, water or a place to hangar the Cub for the night. 402-350-1915. I'm headed out of FET for HFX on Thurs. AM.

George,

We are camped with our motor home in York. Since we stopped here I think I'll try to push on and not stop at FET but have it as a check point. Hopefully will be passing through fairly early tomorrow. My plan is to get to Plattville tomorrow through Harlan and Marshalltown.

Lyn

July 18, 2012 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.
Hints for Homebilders videos at eaa.org