Cubs 2 Oshkosh

Covering AirVenture 2012 in a Field of Yellow

Forums

Forum Home > Buddy system > From out West

Cubs2Oshkosh
Site Owner

How many Cubs west of the Mississippi will make the trip to AirVenture 2012? If my Cub were in California, I would love to fly with your group of Cubs to Oshkosh. You people are going to have a great adventure.

September 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike Merriman

Hopefully I'll be leaving from SD

October 23, 2011 at 9:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Ingerson

I am already planning for this trip from Snohomish Wash.  Need to check my fuel stops and plan on taking about two weeks off for it.   I will most likley being flying solo but would like to meet up with othe pilots.

October 25, 2011 at 10:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bill Brady

If I can get my project done I will be comming from southern California..

October 30, 2011 at 10:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Steve Johnson

I will be coming from Nampa, ID, with an overnight in Longmont, CO (near Denver).

--

Steve

October 30, 2011 at 12:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Joe (Pops) Dory

I'll be flying from Nevada, in a "Slow" Cub.  Would love to meet up with others..

Joe

November 9, 2011 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cubs2Oshkosh
Site Owner

We are in need of some gathering hubs for the people out West.

A gathering hub should have a turf runway, fuel, eating place on field or very close, room for camping, and interesting things to see on field or near airport. Hubs should try to be 300 miles or more from another hub.

November 17, 2011 at 3:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Wayne Smith

I'm planning on coming from Georgetown, TX.

November 20, 2011 at 4:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Linda Fore

Hubby's got to work and pay the bills so I'm looking to fly with others from the northwest.

November 27, 2011 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vanessa Jump Nelson

I am coming from the Hillsboro, Oregon area. No idea how many days yet but will take what time is needed & would like to fly with others going same direction.  My hubby is planning on coming with.

November 28, 2011 at 2:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chuck geissler

I'm based out of Historic Stanton Airfield ( KSYN ) in southern MN. There are several cubs based here and I know that at least a few of us are planning  on making the trip. Stanton is about a half  day flying from Oshkosh and is a great stop over point enroute for those coming from the West.  We have 2 sod runways and space for camping. We are about 7 miles away from the closest restaraunts and hotels but if we know you are coming we can line up a car. If there is interest, we can certainly set up the grill for hot dogs and such.  Stanton has been listed on  the National Register of Historic Locations and is an interesting airport to just nose around. 

--

chuck

November 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cubs2Oshkosh
Site Owner

I appreciate your interest and enthusiasm and will set Stanton Airfield(KSYN) as a hub location. Next year, it is my hope that you will know who may be stopping at your location to coordinate rides, food, other necessities and then maybe a group flight to Hartford then mass flight to Oshkosh.

December 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike Hart (IDMike)

I will be coming from Idaho Falls and would be glad to meet up with others traveling from the West. I am planning on passing through the Rockies either over Teton Pass to Jackson WY followed by Togwotee pass in Wyoming or perhaps up the Hoback River to Pindale and along the South Flank of the Wind Rivers. My route depends on weather at the time and test flights to determine my actuall climb ceiling at summer density altitudes. I will keep track of this forum as I plan the trip.

January 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike Hart (IDMike)

Unfortunately, I just looked at KSYN and it is within the Mode C Veil of KMSP and I do not have a trasnponder so it is a no-go unless there is an exception I am unaware of .

January 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

chuck geissler

Stanton is located within the MSP 30 mile veil so if you have an electrical system and no x-ponder it  will not work for you. There is no problem for the non-electric Cubs as they are exempt under 91-215.

--

chuck

January 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike Hart (IDMike)

I have not electricity so I am in for Stanton. Cool/

January 9, 2012 at 5:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Eric Pedersen

Two SuperCubs from McCall, Idaho to arrive Oshkosh on Sunday morning.

--

Slow and Slower

January 9, 2012 at 5:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Trevor Thies

Hoping to come from the southwest (Chandler., AZ ) via New Mexico

--

January 12, 2012 at 11:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Daniel Murphy

Would like to depart from the west coast of Washington State.  I flew my 1953 super cub to WA from Nebraska in 1999, and was advised to cross the rockies via the "south route"  Rock Springs Wy to Burley Id, if I remember correctly.  That is the lowest altitude crossing spot I am aware of.  It would not be a very direct route from West Central Washington to Oshkosh, but  it is a great route.

Being a super with an 0235, I cruise along about 100mph, so would not match up too well with J3's, but would like to hook up with some of the faster cubs!

January 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bvhydro

Hello; I am flying from either Saint Anthony ID or Grand Junction CO in my J3. All of us 'west of the rockies' folks will have to cross the mountains on one of the 3 or 4 low passes over the great divide between Mexico and Canada (Interstate Hwy/ railroads pretty well delineate where they are, but NOT the D&RGW/I-70 route as it is WAY too high for even O-200 cubs). I am probably folloing the 'Union Pacific' mainline over Sherman Hill in WY (I-80).  It seems that a meet up spot on the western side of those passes would make sense. Rock Springs WY seems favorably located as a gathering place for the central route the Out West folks will be following; I was there 20 years ago----it was a dirt street bawdy oil field camp with lots of bars and stripper clubs, but it does have an airport. In the desert west, gas + turf is an oxymoron. Thoughts? Dates?

Best Regards; Eric

February 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.
Hints for Homebilders videos at eaa.org